September 7-10, 2019
IMIN Conference Center
East-West Center, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
This symposium is part of an intercultural, intergenerational, and interdisciplinary East-West Center (EWC) initiative aimed at engaging the societal challenges and opportunities that are emerging with advances in artificial intelligence, robotics, machine learning and big data. The purposes of the initiative are: to establish an ongoing forum for exploring differences in understanding the goal of aligning artificial intelligence with human values and societal wellbeing; to foster globally-shared commitments to equitable and humane artificial intelligence; and, to engage emerging perspectives on the evolving interplay of people, artificial intelligence, and related technologies.
The symposium will combine plenary lectures, thematically-framed small group discussions, and cooperative futures brainstorming in a spirit of thoughtful conviviality. In response to the complexity of the issues raised by artificial intelligence—socially, economically and politically, as well as ethically—and in keeping with EWC commitments to the value of diversity, applications to participate in the symposium are welcomed from within academic, scientific, business, policy-making and activist communities. Seen qualitatively, diversity is an index of the degree to which differences—in culture, religion, gender, academic discipline, social sectors, artistic or expressive media, and national and regional identities—serve to open prospects for mutually-beneficial contributions to achieving shared understandings and goals.
Those accepted as symposium dialogue partners will receive:
- lodging in the EWC guesthouse, Lincoln Hall
- a travel stipend up to $800 USD
- All participants are invited to an opening reception and final dinner on the EWC campus.
All dialogue partners are expected to attend and participate in all symposium sessions and produce a 3-4 page write-up on how to proceed with meeting the goals of the initiative/symposium.
For more information on the rationale, format and goals of the symposium, please visit our website.
Instructions for submitting your application:
Create a Submittable account today to see the full application and apply to join the symposium as a substantive dialogue partner! Please refer to the symposium website prior to completing this form.
- Please complete the application in ENGLISH.
- Read the instructions for each item carefully before entering your information.
- Submittable does not log you out automatically when you exit your browser. Therefore, it is important that you sign out from your Submittable account, especially when you are using a public computer.
- Since you will not be able to edit it afterward, make sure to review your application before submitting it. If your application is not ready, you can save it as a draft and submit it at a later time. The saved drafts of your application can be found in your account under My Submissions (or Submissions).
- If after submission you need to change something in your application, contact the symposium staff through Submittable messages.
Important Application Guidelines
- Please read the instructions for each field carefully before entering your information.
- Submittable does not log you out automatically when you exit your browser. Therefore, it is imperative that you sign out from your Submittable account, especially when you are using a public computer.
- Since you will not be able to edit it afterward, make sure to review your application before submitting it. If your application is not ready, you can save it as a draft and submit it at a later time. The saved drafts of your application can be found in your account under My Submissions (or sometimes Submissions).
- If you inevitably need to change something in your application, contact the Student Affiliate program at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For inquiries, please contact the EWC Award Offices at:
East-West Center Student Affiliate Program
Attention: Award Services
John A. Burns Hall, Room 2066
1601 East-West Road Honolulu, HI
Helps with Submittable for submitters are available here.
All fields with an asterisk (*) are required.