Application deadline March 30, 2019!
The East-West Center's Pacific Islands Development Program (PIDP), in cooperation with the Professional Fellows Division in the Office of Citizen Exchanges at the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, conducts the Pacific Islands Tourism Professional Fellows Program. This program will bring two cohorts of tourism industry professionals from the Pacific Islands to Honolulu, Hawai‘i for intensive six-week programs that build significant new capacity and facilitate enduring professional bonds between industry leaders in the United States and the Pacific Islands. Participants receive leadership training, network with fellow professionals, visit exciting tourist sites, are placed in an organization/business/agency for a 4-week on the job learning experience, and travel to Washington DC for a capstone conference.
The Pacific Islands Tourism Professional Fellows Program draws broadly and deeply upon Hawaii’s unique position as an American state with one of the world’s premier tourism industries. It is designed to build capacity across the Pacific region by creating strong and enduring connections between 32 mid-level Professional Fellows from 13 Pacific island countries and no fewer than 13 Hawaii-based Americans in private and public tourism-related organizations.
If you are selected as a Professional Fellow, your full participation will be funded by the East-West Center through a grant from the U.S. Department of State.
For more details about the program go here.
- October 7 – November 9, 2019 Activities/Placement in Honolulu, Hawai‘i
- November 10 – 12, 2019 Activities in Washington, DC
- November 13 – 15, 2019 Professional Fellows Congress in Washington, DC
- Be citizens/nationals of one of the eligible countries (dual U.S. citizens are NOT eligible)
- Be between the ages of 25-40
- Be currently employed in their home country (or one of the other eligible countries) and have a demonstrated history of at least 2 years of employment in the tourism industry
- Be willing and able to obtain a J-1 visa and spend 6-weeks in the United States
- Be committed to returning to their home country after the program
- Have a track record of making an impact in their organziation, company, or community
- Be capable of creating an action-orientated plan to address a specific business problem or policy challenge being faced by the tourism industry in their country
- Have sufficient spoken and written English language proficiency to effectively function in an American workplace.
Applications will be accepted from the following Pacific Islands countries:
- Federated States of Micronesia
- Marshall Islands
- Papua New Guinea
- Solomon Islands
- Timor Leste
Your application must be received by midnight March 30, 2019 (Hawaii Time).
The Professional Fellows Program strongly encourages people living with disabilities to apply for the program.
If you would like more information or are having trouble filling out the online form contact us by email.
Pacific Islands Development Program
Honolulu, HI 96848-1601 USA
Phone: +1.808.944.7778 - Fax: +1.808.944.7670
Important Application Guidelines
- Please read the instructions for each field carefully before entering your information.
- Submittable does not log you out automatically when you exit your browser. Therefore, it is imperative that you sign out from your Submittable account, especially when you are using a public computer.
- Since you will not be able to edit it afterward, make sure to review your application before submitting it. If your application is not ready, you can save it as a draft and submit it at a later time. The saved drafts of your application can be found in your account under My Submissions (or sometimes Submissions).
- If you inevitably need to change something in your application, contact the Student Affiliate program at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For inquiries, please contact the EWC Award Offices at:
East-West Center Student Affiliate Program
Attention: Award Services
John A. Burns Hall, Room 2066
1601 East-West Road Honolulu, HI
Helps with Submittable for submitters are available here.
All fields with an asterisk (*) are required.