Applications are now OPEN for the Young Professionals Program for spring of 2021. Please apply by 11:59pm on November 29, 2020.
The Center offers a chance for students and recent graduates (graduate students are particularly encouraged to apply) each semester to gain first-hand training experience in a US-Asia research and education organization in Washington, DC. We do not sponsor visas for this program, so non-US-citizen applicants should already be authorized for such a position through US citizenship/permanent residency or existing visas sponsored by a university or other valid third party. Stipends are available.
We strive to provide participants with a broad range of education and training opportunities in the course of their activities. These may include acquiring and analyzing large datasets, writing articles (asiamattersforamerica.org), attending webinars or seminars, and delivering briefs.
The following proven skillsets are beneficial (though not required):
- Strong Excel and spreadsheet skills and the ability to work with large amounts of data
- Experience living in, studying, or researching Southeast Asia.
- Experience with tracking multiple media sources for new stories on a particular topic
- Development of infographics for use online and in print form in support of various research, policy dialogue, publication, and outreach projects
- Experience with audio/visual technology
- Experience with economic data
- Asian language reading fluency
- Experience writing press releases, policy analyses, or other professional communications
- Public relations/brand management experience
Applicants typically have a strong interest in US-Asia relations and may be studying international relations, Asia studies, international economics, public policy, international business, or other similar areas of study. Participants for the Spring term will join remotely, and must be able to attend at least 2 weekly zoom meetings, and dedicate 20 hours per week to the program.
All participants can be offered university credits (as an internship) if your school permits.