The Pacific Islands Leadership Program (PILP) provides individuals from the Pacific Islands region with the opportunity to enhance their leadership capacities and build a network with other leaders from across the Pacific, Asia and the United States. PILP attracts participants possessing high leadership potential and a commitment to serve their national and regional development goals. The program strengthens participants' knowledge and understanding of key regional, economic, social, political, health, education and environmental issues, and cultivates adaptive and appropriate leadership capacities.
PILP Fellows will spend one month in experiential learning exercises at the East-West Center, a one month field study at the Taiwan Ministry of Foreign Affairs' Institute of Diplomacy and International Affairs (IDIA), and a leadership retreat. Curriculum includes future scenario planning, social entrepreneurship and risk analysis, climate change and environmental stewardship, international relations, and public health.
Citizens from the Cook Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, Republic of Fiji, French Polynesia, Republic of Kiribati, Nauru, Niue, Republic of Palau, Papua New Guinea, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Independent State of Samoa, Solomon Islands, Kingdom of Tonga, Tuvalu and Vanuatu are eligible to apply for PILP.
For more information, please visit our website and FAQ section.
To contact us, please email PILP@EastWestCenter.org
- Citizens from the Cook Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, Republic of Fiji, French Polynesia, Republic of Kiribati, Nauru, Niue, Republic of Palau, Papua New Guinea, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Independent State of Samoa, Solomon Islands, Kingdom of Tonga, Tuvalu and Vanuatu.
- Applicants from all walks of life (government, business, environment, NGOs, health, media, agriculture, education and others) are encouraged to apply.
- Early to mid-career professionals, spanning the ages of approximately 25-38.
- Bachelor's degree. Exceptions may be considered on the basis of other relevant experience and qualifications.
- Fluent level of English. PILP will be conducted in English and participants will be expected to have English language fluency.
- At least three years of professional work experience and achievement
- Leadership track record in professional, public, and/or personal realms
- International experience and aptitude, including overseas residence, language skills, intercultural and diversity exposure
- Volunteer and community service experience
- Pacific Islands engagement: evidence of interest in and knowledge of the region, as well as commitment to its future prosperity. This might include employment in the region, classes taken at University, languages spoken, memberships and fellowships, specific projects, field studies and areas of research interest.
- Experience of cohort learning, working collaboratively in small teams or in large groups.
- 11:59 pm, February 1, 2022 (Hawaii Standard Time)
LETTER OF REFERENCE DEADLINE
- 11:59 pm, February 8, 2022 (Hawaii Standard Time) via the Submittable or to PILP@EastWestCenter.org
- Please download the Letter of Reference form HERE and send it to your referee. Two letters of reference are needed to complete your application. It is recommended that you contact your Referee at least one month before you submit your application as a professional courtesy.
IMPORTANT APPLICATION GUIDELINES
- Read the instructions for each item carefully before entering your information.
- The application software does not log you out automatically when you exit your browser. Therefore, it is important that you sign out from your application account especially when you are using a public computer.
- Since you will not be able to edit your application after submitting, make sure to review your application before submitting. If your application is not ready, you can save it as a draft and submit it at a later time. The saved drafts of your application can be found in your account under My Submissions (or Submissions).
- If, after submission, you need to change something in your application, contact the PILP team at PILP@EastWestCenter.org